About the Episode
In this eighth episode of the NeedCreative Podcast, your host Paul Antico was joined by Special Guest via Skype, Eric Kessler of Kessler Crane, to discuss the past week’s events in indie filmmaking and technology, and tell you all about the history of Kessler. The tools we use to be creative also come from a passion and love for the craft for creating things out of metal, and Eric is here to tell us all about that and how it relates to his company. This is Eric’s story.
- The new Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera and the accessibility of gear
- How gear can make things more efficient for you, but won’t necessarily make you better creatively
- Kickstarter and the importance of thanking people who help you – the “payback is in smiles”
- From Paintball to Motion Control: The entire (abridged) history of Kessler Crane as told by its founder
- The art behind the making the tool
- The love of, and engineering behind, materials – wood needs patience, metal is quicker, and why certain metals are better than others when making filmmaking gear
- The last 5% – the big difference that makes all the difference in a product and a company
- Buying American and making things in the USA
- These aren’t toys, they are tools – there’s a distinction
- The digital motion control project formerly known as Kessler CineDrive and it’s status, including talk of native iOS iPad control and more
- Things for 2013 for example, the Kessler Motion Controlled Crane (a telescoping technocrane-style crane for the independent filmmaker)
- The purpose of the Kessler Shooters
- The future for Kessler – what’s next? 5 Years? 10?
- Artist Picks of the week, and much, much more.
About Anticipate Media
Anticipate Media is a blog about making digital cinematic visuals with relatively affordable tools. The NeedCreative Podcast is produced by Anticipate Media. It’s a radio show, published online, where we discuss all matters creativity.